Friday 16 August 2013

Oh!! These Dreams....

Do you remember that dream sequence from "Kung fu Panda 2" where the Panda dreams of his parents deserting him? He runs after them and they say something like 'we have replaced you with this radish which is better than you and does a better kung fu' and post that the radish actually starts doing the kung fu and takes the panda completely off - guard. And finally, it wins over and then gets transformed into a symbol that is haunting the panda. Parent replacing their child with a radish and then the radish performing kung fu and then suddenly converting into a symbol. Sounds bizarre!! Right?

Do you as well remember Inception - levels of dreams and so much technicalities involved!!Where , it rains in one level of dream and it floods in the other. Able to correlate to these? I am, absolutely. As, I am one of those individuals that get lots of dreams - all kinds of dreams - and even dreams within dreams. I don't remember a night when I had such a sound sleep that I didn't get a single dream. Well, they don't let me have a sound sleep, but I still love them. They are bizarre, sometimes sweet, sometimes scary, sometimes adventurous and sometimes very depressing - but one thing is sure, they bring me nearer to my subconscious self , which is overpowered by my conscious mind all through the day, involved into the day to day activities of mere or no significance.And, they provide me these boundless and countless opportunities of achieving the impossibles.
Some interesting factors that I have observed about my dreams:
Achieve the impossible : I dream of friends and relatives whom I desire to meet but haven't been able to, since long, and they stop after I get to meet them. I have para glided, conquered mountains and sailed through the 7 seas in my dreams. And I have died a thousand deaths - falling from the mountain peaks and being chased by enemies, fighting all kind of odds and what not. The most wonderful thing is how some dreams span across days in episodes , and how at times they are so symbolic and rhythmic. Sometimes they even helped me make a decision, which I possibly couldn't have with my conscious mind which keeps pondering over all the aspects of the situation.
Stitch - in the outside environment: Once I was having this dream and in the dream it started raining, I tried to escape the rain, but didn't help, I took a shelter, still no protection from the rain. Then finally I woke up, and then I saw it was actually raining outside and the rain water was coming inside from the open window - the reason I couldn't escape the rain in my dream :)
All emotions, including sarcasm: You won't really believe how once my mind could spin a dream which was so sarcastic. I had this manager who was so used to "explaining" and "expanding" every talk. You reach out to him with one simple question that could have been answered in 1 sentence and yet he would weave a whole big one-hour lecture on the subject, there won't be any escape.Sometimes, he would even lecture just like that. So, one fine day, I dream of him, at my native place. He was giving bath to my late doggie and at the same time lecturing about how to give bath to a dog in the best possible way!!!! I was amazed by the sarcasm of my own subconscious, having this dream.
Communication between the subconscious and conscious mind:  Sometimes, it feels like the mind knows that its a dream going on. If its a sweet and charming dream - the mind says - keep sleeping, have more of it. While, when its a fearful, tragic or painful dream, the mind jolts us out of it, when we are no longer able to take it.
There are countless amazing facts about dreams. Newborns who hardly know what to do and how to do when they are awake, are able to dream. Animals, who so much lack the intellect that human race boasts of, even they are as capable of dreaming as us. Some of you must have had dreams of future forecasts as well - like the exact number on your mark-sheet in  that maths paper etc.  But "why do we dream" is still a mystery. If you come to know something interesting about these dreams, do share across.

Here's a resourceful article on dreams: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-literary-mind/200911/why-do-we-dream.
More reference materials:
http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/p/dream-theories.htm
http://news.nationalgeographic.co.in/news/2011/11/111129-sleep-dreaming-rem-brain-emotions-science-health/

If interested to find more, just Google for "why do we dream" and you would get numerous links around the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment